Does your home have that warm, clammy feeling? Especially when the weather turns muggy, humidity can soar indoors. Besides making your home uncomfortable, the condition creates a breeding ground for black mold, mildew and other allergens. And that’s something to sneeze at: A top-performing dehumidifier will quickly drop your home’s relative humidity below 60%, the threshold at which bacteria, microbial agents and bad odors thrive. Unlike humidifiers, which add moisture to the air, most best place to position a dehumidifier work by drawing humid air over refrigerated coils, which pull out the excess moisture and condense it into a reservoir.
But with so many types of dehumidifier on the market, it can be tricky to know which one is right for your needs. First, you need to consider coverage as well as overall performance. If you have multiple spaces which require the appliance, it may be better to get a smaller, more portable unit. Those with particularly large or humid rooms, however, may be better off buying a machine with a higher capacity and a pump, to make disposing of the water easier. Other handy features include smart connectivity, which lets you monitor and control the device from your phone. We compare and list the best place to position a dehumidifier to help you beat the humidity in Hong Kong. When relative humidity is high, it can damage the property due to mould and Bacteria. You will feel tired and even increase the risk of asthma and eczema.
Spring has arrived! And as the temperature rises, so does the humidity. Walls are covered in condensation and drying clothes never seem to dry. This means the wet season is upon us and this can be a nightmare for many people. When the humidity is really high, it¡¯s not good for your health either. You¡¯ll find yourself feeling tired, more prone to headaches and if you are in a damp and mouldy room, it could even increase the risk of asthma and eczema. To prevent this, you need a best place to position a dehumidifier at home! With so many to choose from, you probably can¡¯t decide which model to buy as many have similar features. So, let me show you how to pick the right one. Just look out for these three factors (1) dehumidifying capacity (2) water tank capacity and (3) extra features. It¡¯s that simple!
If you want to reduce moisture in your home, and prevent mold and mildew, you’ll need one of the best place to position a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers can also be handy at eliminating lingering odors as well as reducing dust and allergens in the air.
best place to position a dehumidifier
Bestseller No. 1
- Dehumidifier for Space Up to 2000 Sq. Ft: Our dehumidifiers are able to remove up to 34 pints (under 95°F,95%RH condition) of moisture per day. (Please note: under 95°F,95%RH condition,the max dehumidification capacity up to 34 pints) in areas up to 2000 Sq. Ft and adjust humidity from 30% to 80%.It is a dehumidifier ideal for any basements, office, home, bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, stockroom, living room, laundry room, cellars, crawlspace, etc..
- Unique Design for The Modern Home: The Waykar dehumidifiers designed with modern look. With 360° rotatable wheels and ergonomically lift up handles, you can move around this dehumidifier easily. A quiet fan that won't disturb you when you sleep or at work, adjustable fan speeds for multiple choices. 24-hour Timer Setting for preset operation and reduced energy consumption
- Intelligent Control: After you set your desired humidity, the dehumidifier will run intelligently. Humidity Auto Control-Simply adjust to your desire humidity, it will work smartly, when it reached its designated humidity, it will automatically stop working and then automatically restart to dehumidify when the humidity above target is sensed. Automatic Shut Off/On-Shuts off automatically when the bucket is full and switch it on again after the bucket emptied. Power Outage Automatic Restart
- Easy To Use: Auto Drain - The unit comes with a 6.56 feet drain hose that you can attached to the drain pipe hole to continually drain water that is dehumidified. Manual Drain - The water tank is 0.66 gallon/2.5 L,when it reaches maximum capacity, the "Full Tank "indicator will light up, the dehumidifier will automatically switch off until the tank has been emptied. Meanwhile, a reusable and washable filter preserves fresh and clean air quality
- Support: All of Waykar Dehumidifiers are covered with 30-Days Money Back if you are not satisfied with the product, 1 year warranty, 2nd year warranty extension and lifetime expert tech support. Please don't hesitate to contact us if there is any question, we will reply to you within 24 hours and help you solve the problems. Waykar customer support team is always just one-email away
Bestseller No. 2
- 👍120 PPD Dehumidifier-quickly and effectively removes moisture with less energy than conventional dehumidifiers without racking up the energy bill, saving money. It will be the best crawl space/basement dehumidifier you will ever use. Remove 55 pints per day at AHAM condition，120 Pint at saturation, up to 1,300 sq. ft, fit for any basement, crawl space, storage areas, garage, large room, or commercial use.
- 👍Automatic Defrost-a quick and efficient defrosting process, truly makes the dehumidifier able to work at a low temperature (36 degrees Fahrenheit), if frost is detected on the coils, an automatic defrost cycle runs to avoid frost build-up and issues associated with that build up. It makes the unit work continuously and efficiently without periodic stopping during the defrosting process, saving energy and making the unit last longer.
- 👍INTERNAL CORROSION PROTECTION-an advanced technology to minimize corrosion and freon leakage, as you know, in dehumidification applications, there is always get oxide, hydroxide, or sulfide; regular coils get corrosion and freon leakage quickly; this innovative feature extends the life of the coils by providing protection against, maintaining the coil’s heat transferability.
- 👍DESIGNED FOR THE MODERN HOME-for the satisfaction, we designed this professional dehumidifier with the modern consumer in mind. All special features make it the best for crawlspace, basement, and commercial applications, auto defrosting system, optional Remote control system, MERV-8 filter, Low-temperature operation, C-ETL listed.
- 👍5 Years Warranty & safety tested. Our sentinel HD55 dehumidifier is fully compliant with the electrical safety ETL. Every AlorAir dehumidifier comes with a 5-year warranty with a professional customer support team ready to assist at any time. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, you deserve the best after-sales service.
SaleBestseller No. 3
- Compact Size for Space-saving: Diffuser is powered by included AC charger. Without occupying much space, you can easily place this palm sized aromatherapy diffuser on your desk, countertop, or pack in carry-on while on the go.
- 2 Misting Modes: You can set the deffusor to intermittent mist (6-8 hrs working time) that diffuser mists and pauses every 30s, it goes for almost the whole night; Or set it to continuous mist (3-4 hrs working time) that keep misting until water runs out, it creates an instant fragrance in your room.
- PP Material and Cool Mist: Using PP material, this diffuser disperses a comfortable stream of room-temperature mist, which provides ideal coverage for small or medium sized room.
- Romantic Mood Light: InnoGear essential oil diffuser has 8 soothing colors, light can switch from dim to bright. Great for creating atmosphere, meditation, or using as a night light.
- Waterless Auto-off: You can enjoy a restful sleep and keep this diffuser on at night without worries. The diffuser will automatically shut off once the water runs out.
SaleBestseller No. 4
- ADVANCED AIR CLEANING TECH: Combines a HEPA-13 filter that captures 99.97% of dust, pollen, smoke, mold, & other ultrafine impurities, combined with Plasma Ion Technology that projects positive and negative ions in the air allowing you to breathe easy.
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Filters up to 630 SQFT per hour, and AHAM-Verified to exchange 126 SQFT 5 times per hour, allowing you to breathe cleaner air in minutes.
- AUTO MODE: Automatically senses the air quality and adjusts the fan up or down according to detected quality. Light band indicates when air quality is good (white), okay (orange) or poor (red) and adjusts to get back to good.
- ODOR REDUCER: Activated carbon filter layer helps decreasing unpleasant smells, allowing your rooms or office space to be refreshed.
- WHISPER-QUIET: Light sensor automatically turns off displays and lowers noise to whisper-quiet levels when it is time for bed.
Bestseller No. 5
- ✔【235 PPD Dehumidifier】: With large water removal capacity up to 235 Pints (37 Gallons) per day at saturation, 120 PPD (18.9 Gallons) per day at AHAM, COMPACT SIZE (23.8” x 17.9” x 14.7”) In a space as large as 3,300 square feet, this heavy-duty dehumidifier can fit virtually every crawl space and basement and between joists and tight spaces need. Compact and light also equipped with quality carrier handles.
- ✔【Whole homes & Crawl Space & Basement & Commercial use】: This unit has a wide range of applications including crawl spaces, basements, warehouses, offices, factories, shops, apartments, storage areas, restaurants, bars, and museums, up to 3,300 sq. ft... Plug it in, set the target humidity, and you’re done.
- ✔【Microchannel Condenser Technology】BUILT TO LAST with Microchannel Condenser. The use of Microchannel Condenser Technology can improve the 50% dispersion effect of condenser, 30% heat exchange area and 50% refrigerant quantity. The efficiency of the dehumidifier can be increased. All special features make it the best for whole house and crawl space or basement applications, optional remote control system, Microchannel Condenser Technology, MERV-1, and MERV-10 Filter, low-temperature operation.
- ✔【Easy Operation】: Quickly to internal service requested like Internal cleaning, pump service. This commercial dehumidifier features automatic restart after power outages, continuous drainage with pump for effortless humidity control. Automatic defrost, truly makes the dehumidifier able to work at a low temperature (36 ℉), makes the unit work continuously and efficiently without periodic stopping during the defrosting process, not only saving the energy but also making the unit last longer.
- ✔【5 Years Warranty, Robust Construction】 Our sentinel HDi120 dehumidifier is fully compliant with the electrical safety ETL. Every AlorAir dehumidifier comes with a 5 years warranty with a professional customer support team ready to assist at any time. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, you deserve the best after-sales service.
SaleBestseller No. 6
- 1,500 sq ft Dehumidifier: Our dehumidifier removes up to 22 pints (30 pint 2012 DOE standard) of moisture from the air per day. This Energy Star certified model is fit for medium to large rooms, to quickly and effectively absorb moisture without racking up your energy bill.
- Designed For The Modern Home: That most dehumidifiers are clunky eyesores is news to nobody. We designed with the modern consumer in mind: a sleek clean look, convenient built-in wheels and handles, and a quiet fan that won’t drown out your current binge-watching obsession.
- Super Easy To Use: Dehumidifiers don’t need to be complicated, so ours isn’t. Adjust to your ideal moisture setting, then let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank is full, at which point it will automatically shut-off. There’s also a drain hose outlet for continuous draining. The hose is not included; we recommend a ⅝” diameter garden hose with an internal threaded end, and optionally Teflon tape for extra security.
- Eliminates Moisture Effectively: Our portable dehumidifier reduces moisture through its built-in pump compressor. It also features a Turbo mode that increases fan speed from Normal Air CFM 118 (cubic feet per minute) to High Air CFM 135 for maximum moisture removal.
- Important Things To Know: Dehumidifiers emit heat when in use (that’s how they absorb the moisture). This product won’t work in the same room as an evaporative cooler, and is intended for any indoor space up to 1,500 square feet. It measures 15.2 x 10 x 19.7 inches, has a 0.8 gallon water tank capacity, and removes up to 22 pints of moisture from the air per day.
Bestseller No. 7
- Ideal for medium-sized rooms up to 2500 square feet (standard 8 foot ceiling)
- Auto re-start feature will restart the appliance at previous settings in case of power outage
- Includes smart dehumidification feature to maintain humidity within a comfortable 45-55% range
- Includes timer feature, auto-defrost function, and overflow protection
- Easy to clean re-usable filter included
SaleBestseller No. 8
- Easy-to-Clean Washable Filter: Capture dust from the air and keep your dehumidifier working efficiently with our easy-to-clean washable filter
- Custom Humidity Control: Maximize your comfort with customized control over the amount of humidity in your room
- Built-In Pump: Save time and energy normally spent manually emptying a water bucket. The built-in pump allows the unit to discharge moisture in an upward direction, either into a sink or out of a window
- Continuous Drain Option: Skip emptying the water bucket -- this unit continuously drains your dehumidifier so that you don’t have to lift a finger
- Automatic Shut Off: Unit shuts off automatically when the water bucket is full
Bestseller No. 9
- 👍Energy Star Certified Dehumidifier: Quickly and effectively removes moisture with less energy than conventional dehumidifiers without racking up your energy bill, saving the money. It will be the best crawl space/basement dehumidifier you will ever use. Remove 90 pints per day at AHAM condition, 198 Pint at saturation, up to 2,600 sq. ft, fit for any basement, crawl space, storage areas, garage, large room, or commercial use.
- 👍 Heavy Duty Condensate Pump: When removing large amounts of moisture, the condensate pump keeps the dehumidifier running smoothly and efficiently by continuously pushing collected water out of the area. Optional Remote Control – This professional dehumidifier is designed with the remote monitoring function, making this unit ideal for places where remote sensing and controlling are required. It is also a good choice for sound insulation and saving space usage.
- 👍Automatic Defrost: A quick and efficient defrosting process, truly makes the dehumidifier able to work at a low temperature (36 degrees Fahrenheit). If frost is detected on the coils, an automatic defrost cycle runs to avoid frost build-up and issues associated with that build-up. It makes the unit work continuously and efficiently without periodic stopping during the defrosting process, saving energy and making the unit last longer.
- 👍Save on Costs, AlorAir High COP Dehumidifie: An investment in crawl space/basement comfort can be paid back by a few years' energy savings. You can save up to $250 per year in energy costs with dehumidifiers working for their families! Once you can maintain a consistent RH of 50 %, no need to keep the thermostat at low, uncomfortable temperatures once used to control humidity.
- 👍 5 Years Warranty-energy efficient & safety tested: Our sentinel HDi90 dehumidifier is energy star certified and is fully compliant with the electrical safety ETL. Every AlorAir dehumidifier comes with a 5-year warranty with a professional customer support team ready to assist at any time. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, you deserve the best after-sales service.
SaleBestseller No. 10
- 👍 [113 PINT DEHUMIDIFIER] AlorAir Sentinel HD55 commercial dehumidifier can remove 113 PPD at saturation, 53 pints per day at AHAM, up to 1,200 sq.ft, lowering the humidity to comfortable levels in a short period. On the other hand, this cETL-listed dehumidifier is made of a metal outer casing that withstands more rugged conditions, ensuring long-term use and easy maintenance. Fit any crawl spaces, basements, warehouses, offices, factories, shops, storage areas.
- 👍[SUPER CONVENIENT USAGE] This high-quality dehumidifier is adjusted simply to the ideal humidity setting to minimize moisture and reduce odor. The MERV-8 Filter can protect internal components from dust when dehumidifying. The most convenient point is that you are not requested to pour away the water every hour like a typical domestic dehumidifier, there is no tank inside, it drains automatically.
- 👍[AUTO DEFROSTING SYSTEM] Auto defrosting is important, as ice buildup on the dehumidifier’s coils can cause the units to malfunction. AlorAir commercial dehumidifier can truly make the dehumidifier work at the Low temperature (36 degrees Fahrenheit). The unit works continuously and efficiently without periodic stopping during the defrosting process. Not only saving the energy but also making the unit last longer.
- 👍[SAME FIT FOR CRAWL SPACES & BASEMENTS] We designed this professional dehumidifier with the modern consumer in mind, smaller size, compact design, rugged handle, easy and safe to transport from job to job, and even from downstairs to upstairs. All special features make it the best for crawlspace, basement, and commercial applications, auto defrosting system, optional remote control system, strong as the tank, Low-temperature operation, cETL.
- 👍[5 YEAR WARRANTY AND STRONG LOCAL SERVICE TEAM] 5 YEARS Warranty-We believe in quality and after-sales service. All our high-quality AlorAir basement/crawlspace dehumidifiers are made for your full utilization. It will last longer and still keep its shape look, even in some cruel commercial USES. Your 100% satisfaction is with 5 Years and an excellent after-sales service team countrywide.
How to choose the best dehumidifier for you
There are a huge range of dehumidifiers on the market. Before choosing your favorite, here are a few factors you should consider:
In 2019, the U.S. Department of Energy instituted new dehumidifier testing standards(opens in new tab). Nowadays, dehumidifiers are assessed at lower temperatures to better simulate being placed in a real-life environment, such as the basement.
As a consequence, the biggest dehumidifiers, which originally offered 70-pint capacities, have now been reduced to capacities of 45-50 pints. This is because warm air can hold more water than cool air, so the dehumidifier will naturally absorb less in lower temperatures.
Medium-sized models, on the other hand, have been reduced from 50 pints to 30 pints capacities. Whereas small dehumidifiers have moved from 30 pints to roughly 20 pints.
Because of this recent change, many models are being discontinued and replaced with updated designs to suit the new procedure.
There are different types of dehumidifiers on the market. The most common type is a condensing dehumidifier, which pulls the absorbed air over refrigerated coils, which cools it enough the condense and separate the moisture.
Other types include desiccant dehumidifiers, which will use a water-absorbing material, and thermoelectric dehumidifiers, which operate with charged plates. Generally speaking, neither of these latter two types are as effective as condenser models, which is why we only recommend this type in our list.
Dehumidifiers generally come in three sizes: large (45-50-pint capacity), medium (30-pint capacity) and small (20-22-pint capacity).
Under the old regulations, these sizes were 70, 50 and 30 pints, respectively, and you’ll see such numbers with three older models above.
Features to look out for
The capacity in pints relates to how much moisture the dehumidifier claims to absorb per day. The bigger the capacity, the larger and damper space it can handle.
Pint capacity shouldn¡¯t be confused with bucket size however. This specification indicates how much the internal bucket can actually hold before it will need to be emptied. The larger the bucket, the less often you will need to empty it.
On this list you will find passive and pump drainage types. Passive types let you passively drain the water through a hose, or alternatively you can manually carry and empty the bucket yourself. Whereas pump drainage types will automatically pump the water out. Pumps are preferred as the water doesn¡¯t need to rely on gravity alone to drain, so you can direct the hose into a sink or out of the window. However, these models do cost more than without.
Energy Star Certification
It¡¯s always useful to look out for Energy Star Certification as this guarantees savings in terms of energy and money.
With a humidity sensor, your dehumidifier will detect relevant changes in the atmosphere and can automatically switch on and, in some cases, set its power accordingly. Those without a sensor will just be manually controlled.
A frost sensor will detect the formation of ice on the condenser coils. The dehumidifier will then shut off the compressor to give the ice a chance to melt. If it continues to run with frost on the coils, this can damage the parts and make the appliance work much harder to absorb any moisture.
If the dehumidifier suddenly loses power, auto restart means it will automatically switch back on to its previous settings once power is restored.
Number of speeds
This relates to how many speeds the fan has on the dehumidifier. The more speeds there are, the better as it gives you greater control and means excess energy isn¡¯t wasted.
How we test dehumidifiers
Products experts and analysts at the LavaLove continuously survey the marketplace and manufacturers to identify the models that consumers nationwide are most likely to find in stores and online. From there, we identify models for testing across different size categories to cover every need and budget. Note: We only test condensing models, since they capture more moisture than desiccant models (which use a water-absorbing material) or thermoelectric dehumidifiers (which use an electric charge to “attract” humidity).
Hands-on testing begins in our Lab under controlled humidity and temperature conditions. The key performance-based test measures how much water each dehumidifier collects in a 48-hour time period. Our engineers also use a decibel meter to assess how loud each machine is when running on its highest fan speed.
Usability is another important part of our evaluation; it happens in the Lab, as well as in the homes of consumer testers, allowing us to test the dehumidifiers under real-world conditions. We look at such factors as portability, how intuitive the display and controls are and ease of cleaning, including how easy it is to wash the filter and empty the water reservoir. Finally, we evaluate each brand’s customer service by contacting their help lines with a pretend problem and seeing how quickly it is remedied by the representative.
How to clean a dehumidifier
When you consider that bacteria and mold is being sucked into your humidifier, it¡¯s no wonder that it needs an occasional clean. This isn¡¯t as difficult as you might think, simply follow these steps if none are given in your manual:
1. Unplug the humidifier from the wall. You don¡¯t want to risk an electric shock!
2. Remove the water reservoir bucket and tip out any residual water. Clean this with warm soapy water and a microfiber cloth.
3. While that¡¯s drying, wash the filters. The filters collect any impurities so it¡¯s essential that these get an occasional clean. You should have a main filter and potentially a much smaller bucket filter. If you¡¯re not sure where to find these you can refer to your manual. Both need to be washed in warm soapy water, rinsed and then left to dry.
4. If you notice a lot of dust inside your machine, you can also use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to pick up any remaining fluff.
5. Lastly, give the outside a once over with a microfiber cloth for finishing touches.
Pros And Cons Of Using a Dehumidifier
The following are a list of pros and cons of using a dehumidifier¡ªafter reading these, you should be able to have a more concise idea as to whether or not using one will really benefit the health of your home and your personal health.
Dust Mites, mold, mildew, and certain allergens cannot thrive in a dry climate; therefore, taking the humidity out of the air will help in lessening these problems.
Running a dehumidifier will help reduce dust in the air.
If your home (or any room specifically) has a musty or mildew-like smell, a dehumidifier can get rid of that odor, as those are caused by dampness.
Having a dehumidifier run frequently will ensure that mold spores will not grow on your furniture, clothing, bedding, etc.
Certain small insects are attracted to moisture, so having a dehumidifier will deter those little pests.
If you, your family members, or even your pets are prone to allergic reactions to moisture, mildew, or mold, keeping a dehumidifier running will help keep everyone happy and healthy.
Dehumidifier use will help your A/C run more efficiently, as it helps get all of the humidity out of the air and your A/C won¡¯t have to work double time.
Dehumidifiers can be loud and sometimes warm¡ªin the summer, this could be annoying.
Dehumidifiers are work¡ªyou must dump, clean, and refill the water-collection tank and also (some models) clean the air filter regularly. To prevent yourself from running down the hallway toward the bathroom, spilling dirty water, you can reduce your maintenance requirements by installing a drain hose that empties collected water into a floor-level drain.
Constantly running a dehumidifier will increase your energy bill.
A good humidifier (you need to get the size that is required for the room it is in) can be pricey. If you are actually wanting to reap the benefits of owning one, you need to splurge on a trusted and quality brand.
How to use a dehumidifier
Most dehumidifiers are very easy to use. Essentially, it¡¯s just a matter of setting the required moisture level and the unit will do the rest. All you will need to do is empty the water tank.
For a bathroom, you should position the dehumidifier just outside the bathroom door and ensure the door is left open so the unit can draw the moist air towards it. If you¡¯re drying clothes, just place the dehumidifier in the room, making sure the door and windows are all closed.
How much does a dehumidifier cost to run?
Dehumidifiers are generally cheap to run. Look for one which draws less than 330 Watts and you will never spend more than 12p per hour. It’s often much less on lower power settings.
What size dehumidifier do I need?
Domestic dehumidifiers can extract up to 25 litres of water per day, though some as little as 250ml. We have largely focused on 20l models since these are the most popular for domestic use. For larger spaces, damper environments or colder temperatures, choose something more powerful. (Or vice versa for smaller spaces.)
What works better than a dehumidifier?
If your home is above 50% humidity then a dehumidifier is needed. However, if humidity levels are below 30%, a humidifier is needed. To determine the humidity level in your home pick up a hygrometer for less than $20 at a home improvement store.
Is it bad to have a dehumidifier on all day?
An average unit in your space, if it was operating correctly, should extract the moisture to around 50 to 55% Relative Humidity. With this assumption, you can safely run your dehumidifier for about 12 hours a day.
Where is the best place to put dehumidifier?
The best place to put a dehumidifier is in the location closest to the source of the moisture. In multi-level homes, this means that dehumidifiers should most often be placed in basements or upstairs close to the stairs to your basement. This is because the basement is the most humid place in your home.
Does a dehumidifier use a lot of electricity?
The simple answer is yes, even though dehumidifier wattage or energy consumption of many models is low (Average being 483 watts), they stay on for at least 12 hours a day and in most cases, 24 hours. The average cost is about $1.95 daily, meaning it could cost up to (if not more than) $58.42 a month.
How do you know if you need a dehumidifier?
We suggest that the ideal is 50% relative humidity (Rh). If it’s above 60%, a dehumidifier is usually necessary. Try to avoid letting Rh drop to below 40% as this may make the air too dry, exacerbating respiratory symptoms.